The Mumbles Development Trust are indebtied to the Oystermouth Historical Association for the kind provision of material used throughout this Website.
For a full picture of one of the World’s finest Historical Association’s just click the logo on the right to visit the OHA Website directly.

Mumbles often called ‘The Gateway to Gower’ and ‘The Jewel in Swansea’s Crown’, is perhaps best known as the destination of the world’s first fare-paying passenger railway, when back in 1807, Benjamin French introduced a horse-drawn carriage on rails, which would run from Brewery Bank in Swansea  five miles around the bay to Castle Hill (opposite today’s Quarry car park) in Mumbles, taking paying passengers on sightseeing excursions for a fare of one shilling each way — a great deal of money in those days.   In 1877 the railway company brought in steam power and the line was electrified in 1929, introducing a fleet of eleven large tramcars each seating one hundred and six people and which many of us remember fondly.


Today over fifty years after its closure and replacement with a promenade, the village continues to attract visitors to such familiar sites as the imposing Norman castle, the Georgian lighthouse (photo) built in 1794 and the Victorian pier opened in 1898

Why not come and spend some time here in our village when  a look at the locality would not be complete without a visit to some of our five distinctive beaches nearby — Bracelet, Limeslade, Rotherslade, Langland and Caswell. Alternatively, you could become absorbed in a trip back in time by exploring our website.